Sunday, June 22, 2014

P.D. Eastman Kindergarten Celebration

We have been exploring P.D. Eastman over the last few weeks in kindergarten. My hope is that students who are emerging readers will be familiar with good, fun,  and readable options as they enter first grade. Last year, I separated "easy readers" from the rest of the picture books. I let first graders know about this section during the first week of school so they know where to find books that will help their reading skills blossom. So, this year, we are ending with a P.D. Eastman celebration as a segue into first grade. We have read the following books either written, illustrated, or both by P.D. Eastman:
Go Dog Go
Sam and the Firefly
The Best Nest
Flap Your Wings
Fish Out of Water
Are You My Mother

For our final celebration, we made party hats reminiscent of Go Dog Go's party hats that appear throughout the book. My favorite line from the book, "Hello again, and now do you like my hat?" "I do! What a hat! I like it. I like that party hat."
Since three out of the six books we read have a bird theme, we will have a spoon and egg race.

Students will get "doggie bags" with a summer reading list, and some writing supplies.

And finally, P.D. Eastman cowrote the screenplay for the 1951 Oscar winner for Best Animated Short Subject film, Gerald McBoing-Boing. Students will watch this 7 minute film originally written by Dr. Seuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment