Monday, November 3, 2014

Q1 Library Journal in Review

When third-fifth graders enter library class, they spend five minutes writing in their weekly journal. Each week they respond to a different question about the library book they read the week before. As quarter one comes to a close, I am currently in a journal reading marathon. Overall, I am very impressed with students' thoughtful responses to their library books. It is also fun to see what students are actually reading. The rule is, if you didn't get a chance to read your library book, respond to something else you have read either at home or at school. See below for this quarter's questions and a sampling of journal responses.

Favorite Nonfiction Topic

What is your favorite nonfiction topic to read about? Why is it your favorite topic?
Animals are my favorite topic because I live with pets and where I live, outside, it’s like animal kingdom. Outside we have birds, fish, frogs, bunnies, woodchucks, squirrels, and skunks. Plus I love animals!

Why should I read this book?

Give 2 reasons why I should or should not read your library book?
You should read Doll Bones because it is descriptive and adds some scary things into the adventure. You should also read it because it is a RI Children’s Book Award.

Author Visit
Pretend the author of your book is visiting the school. Think of a question(s) you would ask him or her about the book.

My book is How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language by Aline Alexander Newman & Gary Weitzman,

  • How did you know dog languages?
  • How did you think of this on your own?
  • Do you have a trained dog to help you?
  • Do you like the book you wrote?

Picture & Caption
Draw a picture of the most exciting part of your book. Write a caption under the picture.





Title
Think of a new title for your book. Why do you think this is a good title?

The new title for my book is the “The Quest for Pi.” I chose this because in Navigating Early there is a story behind the number Pi and it is a main focus of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment